SYRACUSE, NY (WSYR-TV) – The winners of the 2021 New York State Dairy Contest were announced at the New York State Fair on Thursday. Categories ranged from “best fluid milk” to “best low fat cottage cheese”, as well as several other product contests.
In total, there were more than 25 categories for dairy products, and more than a dozen different dairy manufacturers from across the state received their medals at the state fair’s dairy day on Thursday.
Upstate Farms won gold for “Best Liquid Milk, with Stewart’s Farms as the silver recipient, and Tompkins County’s Old Chatham Creamery was named Grand Champion for its Camembert cheese.” There were 116 entries in the cheese categories alone.
The categories included fluid milk, various types of cheese, sour cream, yogurt, dips and cottage cheese. The cheese categories were evaluated by 11 expert judges.
The highlights of this year’s competition are as follows:
- Upstate Farms won gold in the Flavored Milk category
- Stoltzfus Family Dairy of Oneida County won gold in the Fluid Milk from Small Processors category as well as in the Chocolate Milk category.
- Upstate Niagara took the most medals overall, with a total of 19. They received gold in the Flavored Milk, Dip, Buttermilk, Mozzarella, Ricotta and Sour Cream categories.
- Great Lakes Cheese won gold for their Cheddar and Aged Cheddar, winning a total of six medals.
- HP Hood won gold for their whole, low fat cottage cheese and also won the excellence award for their whole cottage cheese.
There are plenty of dairy-themed attractions that festival-goers can also enjoy this year, including a butter sculpture and a 25-cent milk bar. The Milking Cow Birthing Center allows people to watch live calf births, and the dairy barn milking parlor offers live demonstrations, at 4:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. daily .